Before: BER C3
After: BER A3
The challenge: Dormer bungalow built in 2002 with conservatory with vaulted timber ceiling added in 2005. There are double glazed timber windows with timber front and back doors and plastered walls have had full fill insulation completed. Oil fired central heating with radiators. No heating on first floor. House is cold and draughty.
Client Requirements: To make the house warm and comfortable by reducing the heat loss and improving the heat efficiency within the specified budget.
Proposed Approach: To complete measures that gave the best return on investment. To satisfy the grant criteria it would have been necessary to replace all windows and doors and this was not feasible within the available budget. Following a number of review meetings and discussions, the client decided not to avail of the grant and the following works were completed to meet the client’s revised requirements:
- Specification and Works Completion
- Passive uPVC front door.
- Spray foam insulation completed in all attic areas and air tightness remedial works undertaken.
- Attic insulation upgrade.
- Air to Water Heat Pump with time and temperature control.
- Upsized ground floor radiators and heating system installed on first floor.
- 200 litre factory insulated hot water cylinder.
- Pressurised water system.
- Unused chimney permanently sealed.
- Humidity sensitive extract ventilation and background vents.